Street Construction Closures
These events have received permits:
- Oct. 11 - Purple and Fit: Zumba for Relay for Life (Marion Street) 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 12 - AHS Homecoming Parade starts at 3 p.m. at Clinton Street school and going around around the Square to Hometown and Library.
- Oct. 13 - Pink Lady Walk from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. starts at Jimmy Gill Park and impacts Sanderfer Road, Hine Street, Somerest, Booker, Togo, Aretha, Bristol, Sommers Ridge, Blendor Crooks, and back to park.
- Oct. 21-28 - All day - Marion Street on The Square will be blocked for tent set up, Storytelling Festival, and tent breakdown.
- Oct. 28 - Bicentennial Celebration by First United Methodist. Bryan St will be blocked between Jefferson and Marion from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Oct. 28 - Fall Fest for Athens on The Square from 3-7 p.m. Churches hosting this community event. Includes vendors.
- Nov. 16-18 - Christmas Open House in Downtown Athens. Marion Street between Washington and Market streets closed.
- Nov. 17 - Athens Bicentennial Bash on The Square along with Christmas Open House. Marion Street and possibly the intersections will be blocked all day.
- Nov. 17 - 7:45 to 9:45 a.m. - Cowart 5K race - From Cowart, down Bullington, east on W. Hobbs, north on Hine, east on Market, south on Marion, west on Washington, north on Bullington back to Cowart.
The City of Athens coordinates with the Alabama Department of Transportation on these projects, and the dates are subject to change
- 5th Avenue – Plans are complete. Once City forces complete preliminary work, the project will be bid.
- Forrest Street bridges and resurfacing – Plans are complete. Will go to bid end of August. Anticipate work to start January 2019.
- Alabama 251 roundabout – Wait until Forrest St bridges done. (State project)
- Courthouse Square – Work underway. Plans are to finish by Oct. 1, 2018.
- U.S. 31/Pryor Street Sidewalk – Anticipate fall 2018 construction.
- Athens High School Access Improvements – U.S. 31 entrance, Pryor St/Golden Eagle Drive/U.S. 31 Intersection, and Elm St turn lane) – Anticipate construction start date in early summer.
- Athens Limestone Blvd at U.S. 72 – Permit submitted to ALDOT; City forces to construct.