City of Athens Relay for Life Team
The City of Athens traditionally has a Relay for Life Team to support the efforts of the American Cancer Society and to support local cancer patients with medical-related travel expenses, wigs, scarves and support groups. Based on available records, the City of Athens Relay for Life Team has raised over $141,000 for the American Cancer Society since 1999.
City of Athens Relay for Life Team's Bass Fishing Tournament on April 27 at Ingalls Harbor
Help us fish for a cure! Print registration form and return with payment or register online at Bass Fishing Tournament Online Registration
Registered boaters are eligible for the door prize drawing and are provided lunch.
The winning team will receive custom made rods and reels donated by Grassy Custom Rods.
City of Athens Relay for Life Events and Fundraisers
- Hope. Fight. Relay. purple garden flags, $15. Call 256-233-8730.
- Relay for Life stained glass sun catchers in the shape of a purple ribbon, made by High Cotton Arts artist Denise Maurer, $20. Call 256-233-8730.
- City of Athens Christmas ornaments, $10. Call 256-233-8730.
- April 9 - Annual City of Athens Relay for Life Celebrity Waiters Night at Applebee's from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Three teams are competing to see who can raise the most in tips: Team School Spirit with Athens High Football Coach Cody Gross and East Band Director Jennifer "Miss Sam" Janzen; Political Power with Mayor Ronnie Marks and Councilman Frank Travis; and First Responders with Officer Michael Stainbrook and Firefighter Jordan Pugh.
- April 27, 2019 - Annual City of Athens Relay for Life Bass Fishing Tournament at Ingalls Harbor from safelight to 3 p.m.
- Limestone County Relay Night - Crusin' for a Cure at the Sportsplex on May 10 from 6 p.m. to midnight. Rain location is the Limestone County Event Center.
City of Athens Relay for Life Team's 2017-18 highlights
- Raise $25,255 this year! That means since the City began supporting Relay for Life in 1999, we have raised AT LEAST $141,495.18 (four years we do not have a record of what was raised).
- Nearly reached our goal of 30 blood donors for our Dan Williams Memorial Blood Drive (we got 27).
- Combined with Elkmont Church of Christ, sent 30.2 pounds of cola tabs to the Ronald McDonald House in Memphis to help support free lodging for families who have a child at St. Jude's.
- Distributed balloons, stickers, candy, and information on childhood cancer at the annual Superhero Day for Childhood Cancer Awareness and oversaw the first responder/military vehicle area.
- Supported Athens Fire and Rescue and Athens-Limestone Hospital Foundation's mammogram scholarship program by promoting sales of the Breast Cancer Awareness Shirts.
- Promoted colon cancer awareness by selling T-shirts in memory of Lisa Vaughn, and sharing colon cancer awareness info on social media.
- Honored those within our city and Relay family who have or are battling cancer at the North Pole Stroll with our Relay for Life Christmas tree.
The City of Athens Relay for Life Team conducts various fundraisers throughout the year. The fundraisers include a Celebrity Waiters Night, Bass Fishing Tournament, T-shirt sales, and more. Through the community's support of these efforts, the team raised $16,165 during the 2015-16 campaign year.
We refuse to let cancer have the last word. Each year, the City Team celebrates victories won at the annual Relay for Life of Limestone County event, traditionally held in May. We cheer those participating in the Survivors Walk, encourage those still battling cancer, and thank those who are supporting our fundraising efforts.
If you are interested in honoring a loved one or supporting our team, please email Team Captain Holly Hollman at email@example.com